Volunteering at YSS
Volunteers are special individuals who give without asking anything in return. Please consider sharing your time and talents to help youth in your community.
Listed below are some positions for which we are seeking volunteers. There are MANY more that are not listed.
- Tutor: Assist participants at YSS facilities with schoolwork, projects, and other assignments.
- Shift Worker: Spend four to five hours, once a week, with program participants - interacting, monitoring activities, etc. Be a positive role model.
- Recreation Assistant: Participate in recreational activities.
- Guest Speaker: Be a resource person. Share your profession, hobby, life experience with participants in YSS programs.
- Community Youth Development: Help to involve high school teens in planning activities where they can build skills, exercise leadership, form relationships with caring adults, and provide services to others.
- IHYC Street Outreach: Help on the outreach van as our counselors drive the streets of Des Moines at night in search of homeless youth to assist.
Internships and Service Learning
YSS is happy to assist students at all levels of education with opportunities to learn about the various programs and career opportunities with in the organization. Internships, Practicums and Service Learning opportunities are available in almost every program.
Please indicate the nature of your volunteer experience on your volunteer application. A link to the application is provided below.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer opportunities for large and small groups on an ongoing basis or as a day of service can be arranged.
Have an idea for a group activity -- please contact the Volunteer Coordinator about potential opportunities.
Some positions can qualify for community service hours. Please ask the Volunteer Coordinator for more information about this program.
How To Apply
If you would like to get involved in one of our many volunteer programs, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (515) 232-4332 ext. 4451 or Contact Us.
Please download and complete the application available here.
SFSP Volunteers (Eastern Story County Summer Lunch Program) -- please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application packet.
The process takes two to four weeks to complete and requires verification of three references and a background check (Criminal, Child Abuse, Sexual Offender -- state and Federal, and Motor Vehicle Report).
You can also meet with the Volunteer Coordinator in person at the Jacobson Youth and Family Center, at 420 Kellogg Avenue in Ames or at the Buchanan Center, at 1219 Buchanan Street in Des Moines.